}

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Corn and Beet Salad

clean eating, 21 day fix, beet salad, corn, healthy recipes, fresh recipes, low calorie sides, food, recipes, beachbody recipes,

This past Saturday started off with coffee at a local cafe. I love to go there and get an iced coffee with a shot of espresso :) There is honestly nothing better than sitting outside at a cafe with coffee and a good book! After reading my book, " Foods That Heal and Foods That Harm" I felt motivated to go to the local farmers market that is on Saturday mornings. I'm sure the coffee aided my desire to get creative!



Cold Brew with espresso and soy

While shopping at the market there was a guy there handing out samples of foods. One sample was  sweet corn and beet salad which was really great! Lucky me.. I just got beets from the one stand. Because the recipe was so tasty, I decided to mimic it and make it 21 day fix approved :) I was able to get all of my ingredients from the farmers market which amplified my excitement about this! I would always go to the market and find all of these cool vegetables I wanted to cook with but never knew what to make. For the recipe I used fresh sweet corn, beets with beet greens, candy onions, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Yup! Thats it:) Simple, delish, and full of vitamins and minerals. You could eat this as a side or even dip whole grain chips in it for a healthy snack! 


Ingredients

4 Medium beets and beet greens
2 cups of corn
1 T olive oil
1/2 large candy onion 
1/4 cup onion stems
2 T Balsamic vinegar

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Throrughly wash beets. Remove the beets from the greens. Save the leaf part and chop into medium size pieces.   
Wrap beets in foil and roast in oven for about an hour or until tender.
Remove beets from the oven and allow to cool. Peel skins off of the beet; they should pull right off.
Heat oil in a skillet
Cut slices of the candy onion and sauté in oil until slightly brown
Add in fresh cut corn straight from cob ( no need to pre cook). Cook corn until golden brown.
Cube beets and add to mixture once corn is nice and golden. Toss in chopped beet greens and onion stems and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. 
Remove from heat and toss in balsamic vinegar. Serve hot or cold.

Nutrition: 3/4 cup serving
21 Day fix: 1 yellow, 1/2 green, 3/4 tsp
Calories: 117
Fat: 4.5g 
Carbs: 18g
Protein: 3g
Sugar: 8.5g
Fiber: 2g
Vitamin C: 18%
Vitamin A: 15 %






No comments:

Post a Comment