}

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

clean eating, 21 day fix, oatmeal pancakes, healthy breakfast, high protein pancakes, protein pancakes,  pre workout breakfast


Every morning I usually eat oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. Breakfast is my favorite meal of they day so I always like to make something interesting and delish! I wanted something that was tasty but had complex carbs to keep me full and energized for my workout but had a decent amount of protein in it. Whey protein doesn't exactly agree with my stomach so adding it to my oatmeal isn't always an option. While meandering around my kitchen I came across a bag of garbanzo bean flour and oat flour. I have used regular oats to make waffles and pancakes before so I decided to experiment! The pancakes were so good I ate them 4 days in a row! Honestly, they are basically just as good for you as eating a bowl of oatmeal too!  Although these pancakes taste guilty, they are 100 percent healthy and have no sugar added! The oats are whole grain and when paired with the garbanzo bean flour they make a fiber rich breakfast that is gluten free! Your family will love them and they will make a great weekend breakfast. Try serving them with a side of turkey bacon or sausage! 


INGREDIENTS:  Makes one large pancake or two medium pancakes

1/4 cup of oat flour 
1/8 cup of garbanzo bean flour ( use additional oat flour if you don't have garbanzo bean flour)
1/4 cup of egg whites
1/4 cup of fat free plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp of cinnamon 
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 packet of stevia ( optional)


INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or blender ( I always use my ninja when possible)
2. Spray a pan with coconut oil spray and allow to get warm on medium heat
3. Pour batter and cook like a normal pancake. Flip when the underside is slightly brown
4. Top with some fruit and a tsp of honey, pure maple syrup, agave.
5. I throw a dollop of greek yogurt on top to make me feel fancy ;)

* If you batter is too thick add a bit more egg whites and if its too thin let it sit for a couple seconds to thicken up .
* If you don't or can't find oat flour I suggest popping 1/2 cup of oats in a blender or food processor and blending it up fine. It wont get as powdery as the stuff you buy but it should work!

Topping suggestions
  • Peanut butter/ Almond butter and banana
  • Walnuts
  • Chocolate chips--for the kiddos or maybe you ;)
  • Fruit- I used peaches which were amazing paired with the cinnamon

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories: 245,  Fat: 3.5 g, Protein: 20 g, Carbs: 31.4

21 DAY FIX: 1 YELLOW, 1 RED, 1/2 PURPLE ( if you top with fruit) 


No comments:

Post a Comment